What do I learn?
You study 18 modules over the two years including:
• health and safety
• communication for engineering technicians
• engineering project
• maths for engineering technicians
• mechanical principles and applications
• electrical and electronic principles
• engineering design
• engineering drawing for technicians
• selecting and using PLCs
In addition, you study functional skills in English, maths or ICT.
Individual learning targets are set each term and you receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets.
Formal assessment is through assignments, projects, presentations and practical assessments, which are set at regular intervals throughout the course. The functional skills in English, maths or ICT are assessed by an external exam.
Learning activities include lectures, workshops and practical sessions. A strong emphasis is placed on working and learning with others. You are regularly set tasks to complete in partnership with other students. You also need to be able to work independently and take responsibility for your own learning.
What do I gain?
• the Edexcel Extended Diploma in Engineering
• functional skills qualifications in English, maths or ICT
You also improve the wider skills vital for success in further study or employment, including self-confidence, speaking in front of others, working with others, taking responsibility and managing your time. By the end of the course you will have gained a valuable insight into future careers open to you.
What do I need?
To apply for this course you need:
• 5 GCSEs grade A*-C or above, preferably including English language, maths and science, or National Award in a relevant subject, or First Diploma at Merit or above
• a keen interest in engineering and commitment to advanced-level study
Your offer is also subject to a successful interview.
What do I gain?
On successful completion of the course you can progress to a higher education course in engineering or a related subject. Alternatively, you are well placed to find work in the industry. Recent students have gone straight into employment.
What else do I need to know?
The fee for international students for the 2016 entrance is £6,300 per year.