What do I learn?
You study units of work over the two years:
• introduction to visual language in art and design
• introduction to research skills in art and design
• introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
• introduction to materials, processes and technical skills
• an integrated approach to 2D problem solving
• an integrated approach to 3D problem solving
• an integrated approach to time-based problem solving
• developing an art and design project
• art and design characteristics and context
• preparation for progression in art and design
• engaging with an audience in art and design
• art and design proposal and realisation
What do I gain?
The qualification awarded is the UAL Extended Diploma in Art and Design - Fashion Pathway.
You will gain
• practical 2D and 3D skills through research and design development
• organisation skills, planning and time management
• evaluative skills when reviewing personal work
• self-motivation and working independently inside and outside of college
• experience of team work to problem solve and be able to present ideas to others.
You will have opportunities to set up and take part in fashion shows and photo shoots, as well as visiting exhibitions to use as a source of inspiration.
What do I need?
All Level 3 students must have 5 GCSEs including English and maths at grade C or above, or a Level 2 qualification.
Students who do not have a Level 2 qualification in English but have achieved a pass in their BTEC Level 2 and a Level 1 qualification in English could progress to the 90 credit one year Level 3 programme. (This allows the students to improve their English before progressing to the full Extended Diploma in year 2).
All students should have examples of art or design work and a satisfactory reference from a school or employer.
All students will be interviewed. Full details of topics to be discussed will be sent with a letter of invitation for interview.
What do I gain?
The course leads on to higher education or in some cases directly into employment as a junior fashion assistant, or can help you progress in the fashion retail world through a store's own management scheme.
The UAL Extended Diploma in Fashion Design generates up to 360 UCAS points.
What else do I need to know?
The fee for international students for the 2016 entrance is £6,300 per year.