What do I learn?
Throughout the process of building your chair we will cover the following topics
(demonstrations of techniques and handouts will be also given):
● Introduction to tools, materials, fire safety regulations.
● Wood finishes.
● Understanding traditional construction, techniques and materials.
● Using upholstery specific hand tools such as hammers, regulators and bayonet
● Constructing a sprung base.
● Sewing a hand build stitched edge in the traditional manner.
● Choosing upholstery fabrics.
What do I gain?
You will gain knowledge and skills in using traditional craft techniques in your upholstery.
What do I need?
You must supply your own chair, please email an image of a potential chair in advance and advice will be given as to its suitability.
Please bring a camera/phone to record each step and a fabric tape measure. You will also need top fabric towards the end of the course, advice will be given (all other tools and materials will be provided).
What can I do next?
Would you like to learn more? Please register your interest and we will let you know of any future courses in upholstery
What else do I need to know?
This course runs on 10 Thursdays from 2- 5.30pm.
Teaching will take place in our upholstery workshop by professional upholsterer Rachael Stevenson.
Please note that this course will NOT run during half term.