What do I learn?
This course covers:
• anatomy and physiology, including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous, endocrine and energy systems and their relation to exercise and health
• how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
• how to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity, and the importance of healthy eating
• how to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
• how to apply the principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme
• how to design, manage, and adapt a personal training programme with apparently healthy adults of all ages
• how to deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a programme for apparently healthy adults of all ages
You learn through a mixture of practical and theory-based sessions utilising case studies, discussion groups and lectures on the core content.
Assessment is completed through the development of a portfolio of evidence, worksheets, multiple choice exams, continuous assessments and practical assessment.
What do I gain?
Providing fitness instructing services is a rewarding and responsible role, and you can apply the skills within a range of different environments. The qualification also develops communication and problem solving skills.
What do I need?
To do this course, you need:
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing - Gym-Based Exercise (or equivalent)
What do I gain?
Successful completion of the qualification allows you to seek employment (paid or unpaid) as a fitness instructor within the fitness environment.
You can also progress to:
• Level 3 Award in Business Skills for the Fitness Professional
• Level 3 Award in Instructing Outdoor Fitness
• Level 3 Award in Sports Conditioning
• Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage (Soft Tissue Therapy)
• Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
What else do I need to know?
The fee for international students for the 2016 entrance is £6,300 per year.