What do I learn?
You cover the City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Retail Knowledge, which includes units such as:
• understanding customer service in the retail sector
• understanding the retail selling process
• understanding how individuals and teams contribute to the effectiveness of a retail business
• understanding how a retail business maintains health and safety on its premises
You also cover the City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Retail Skills, which has the following core unit:
• work effectively in your retail team
You then choose optional units a wide selection which includes:
• monitor and help improve food safety in a retail environment
• process payments for purchases in a retail environment
• assemble retail products in customer's home/workplace
• put visual merchandising displays together
• promote beauty products to retail customers
• develop productive working relationships with colleagues
• allocate and check work in your team.
In addition, you study:
• functional skills in English and maths
• employer rights and responsibilities (ERR)
• personal listening and thinking skills
Formal assessment is through assignments, projects, presentations and practical assessments which are set at regular intervals throughout the course, and you receive regular feedback. English and maths are assessed by an external exam and portfolio work.
You learn the theory elements through directed study and one-to-one drop-in sessions with your assessor. Practical sessions are included.
You also work on your functional skills, ERR and personal listening and thinking skills as part of this learning.
What do I gain?
You improve the wider skills vital for success in further study or employment including self-confidence, speaking in front of others, teamwork, taking responsibility and managing your time.
By the end of the course you will have benefited from a valuable insight into future careers open to you.
What do I need?
You need to be employed in a retail setting for a minimum of 30 hours a week. Although there are no formal entry requirements for this apprenticeship, upon application you will be invited in for an interview and initial assessment to see if the course is right for you.
What do I gain?
On successful completion, you can progress to courses in a variety of areas and levels, including the Retail Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship.
At the end of your apprenticeship you may progress onto career roles such as:
• sales assistant
• stockroom assistant
• customer services assistant