What do I learn?
Security officers' duties include checking the suitability of personnel and vehicles as they enter establishments, carrying out searches, patrolling designated areas, dealing with emergencies and supervising people as they enter and leave establishments.
Subjects covered include:
• the roles and responsibilities of security officers
• search procedures
• security systems
• reporting and record keeping
• legislation and its relevance to the role
• avoiding conflict and reducing personal risk
• reducing risk of conflict
• effective communication
• problem solving strategies
The qualification has three mandatory units:
• Unit 1 - Working in the Private Security Industry
• Unit 2 - Working as a Security Officer
• Unit 3 - Conflict Management for the Private Security Industry
Teaching/learning methods: course workbook quizzes and tests, group work, power point presentation.
Assessment methods: 3 multiple-choice exams.
What do I gain?
On successfully completing this Level 2 course you will receive a recognised industry-standard qualification in security guarding. This enables you to apply for an SIA licence. The course develops your skills in:
• understanding the private security industry and the role of a security guard
• knowledge of health and safety in the workplace including awareness of emergency procedures
• understanding relevant areas of the law and other legal issues
• how to recognise defuse and resolve conflict situations
• using effective methods of communication
The qualification you gain is the Level 2 Award for Security Guards
What do I need?
To do this course you need:
• to be 18 years old or above
• good English literacy skills
• home office ID requirements
• 2 x passport-type photos
• criminal record check
To find work in this area you need good communication skills, the ability to work in a team, great time keeping, self control, and you need to able to work long hours if required.
On the day of the course, all you need to bring is a pen and notepad.
What do I gain?
Other courses we run at the college include:
• Level 2 Award in Door Supervision
• Level 2 Award in Conflict Management
• Level 2 Award in First Aid at Work (FAW)
What else do I need to know?
The course runs at our Blackbird Leys campus. We have not set dates just yet, please call us to register your interest.