What do I learn?
Covering both theory and practice you will spend some days in college and some in practical training in the work placement.
The scope of the diploma is broad. You develop a deep understanding of how children develop and learn, and you take responsibility for learning activities for children. You also learn how to provide a safe and healthy environment.
Core mandatory units are:
• communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
• schools as organisations including types of schools, policies and procedures and the wider environment in which they operate
• planning, delivering and reviewing assessment strategies to promote and support learning alongside the teacher; personal development and reflective practice
Optional units will focus on some of the following:
• occupational roles
• plan and deliver learning activities under the direction of a teacher
• support literacy development
• support numeracy development
• support delivery of the 14-19 curriculum
• lead an extra-curricular activity.
Other elements of the apprenticeship are:
• Functional Skills in Maths and English
• Employment Rights and Responsibilities
• Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
What do I gain?
You benefit from being taught by an experienced team, all of whom have relevant and recent industry experience. On successful completion you will be qualified to work in a school setting and have a Level 2 literacy and numeracy. Your qualification will meet the entry requirements for relevant higher education courses.
What do I need?
This programme is ideal for progression on from the Level 2 Supporting Teaching and Learning Apprenticeship.
If you don’t have that level 2 qualification then you will need to have a couple of years experience in a childcare setting.
What do I gain?
This apprenticeship provides an excellent stepping stone onto a foundation degree. Potential job roles include classroom assistant, learning support assistant, and special needs assistant.
What else do I need to know?
You will need to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.