What do I learn?
In year one you cover 10 units:
• investigating travel and tourism
• the business of travel and tourism
• marketing travel and tourism products and services
• the UK as a destination
• customer service in travel and tourism
• retail travel operations
• long haul travel destinations
• UK visitor attractions
• entertainment for holidaymakers
• a residential study visit in travel and tourism
You will also complete:
• Functional Skills qualifications - you get the chance to gain useful transferable skills in communication, application of number and ICT
• Welcome Host Award in customer service - customer service is very important in any industry but especially travel and tourism. With this award you identify and demonstrate skills which promote excellent customer service.
In the second year, you complete the following ten units:
• preparing for employment in the travel and tourism industry
• specialist tourism
• working as a holiday representative
• conferences and exhibitions
• responsible tourism
• European destinations
• investigating the cruise sector
• hospitality operations in travel and tourism
• handling air passengers
• researching current issues in travel and tourism (this is at Level 4)
You can also take an additional qualification in year 2: the NCFE Airline Cabin Crew Certificate.
There are no exams on this course. All 20 diploma units are assessed by completion of assignments which you produce throughout the year. You also do various activities and role-plays under observation.
As well as tutorials and assignments, you take part in residential trips and visits to travel and tourism organisations.
What do I gain?
• Edexcel Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Travel and Tourism
• Welcome Host Award
• Edexcel Functional Skills Level 1 or 2
What do I need?
5 or more GCSEs grades A*-C including English and maths
BTEC level 2 Diploma grade Merit or Distinction plus GCSE grade C or above or Functional Skills at level 2 in English and maths
If you are interested in a Level 3 programme and have alternative qualifications you would like us to consider, please contact us with your details. Applicants will be invited to attend an interview and complete an initialassessment. All students will have their literacy and numeracy needs supported within the programme.
What do I gain?
On successful completion of the course you might want to continue your education by studying for a degree at university. Alternatively, you can start work in the travel and tourism industry.
What else do I need to know?
The fee for international students for the 2016 entrance is £6,300 per year.